Sunday, January 18, 2015

Interview with New Zealand Author Claire Plaisted

It is BraveGirl Publishing Blog's pleasure to interview Claire Plaisted, all the way from New Zealand:




BGP: Please introduce yourself to the readers.

CP: Hello folks, my name is Claire Plaisted, I live in Rotorua, New Zealand with my husband, three children and two cats.  We are a funny and positive family.  I was born in England, growing up in Cheshire in the small but beautiful ancient town of Sandbach.  It is no wonder I love history so much.  At age 19 I moved to Colwyn Bay in North Wales and it was during my time here that I travelled to New Zealand for a holiday by myself and met my future husband.
Romance bloomed, a match made in heaven, though with no internet in those days…it was very much a long distant relationship, until I came back here to live.
As mentioned above I love history and became a family history researcher, gathering data and making books for other people, including family.  One of those is still my best seller. 
During a slow period in 2012, waiting for information to put in a history book I got bored. Opening a word document I started to write.  It is a Regency Mystery Romance, and still un-published.  Sending the first three chapters to friends, they came back wanting more.  Mind over the next couple of years I had a lot to learn about the English Language.

BGP: With all the places you’ve lived, where do you set your stories?

CP: I have my Garrett Series set in New York.  No idea why it just worked out that way.  My Regency Novel is actually set in the dame place as the family history book I was researching –

Gloucestershire, England.  I do have a draft set in New Zealand, though I have not touched it in a few months.  My children’s books are mainly England type places.  Charlie Girl is in Rotorua, New Zealand  and the one about the Psychotic Killer was in America.  I have no idea at all about Fred the Evil Incarnate, it is another world perhaps, due to the fantasy nature in the story.

BGP: What language were you originally writing in?

CP: English is my first and main language, though I can pass off a small amount of Welsh and Maori.  I have found English in each different English speaking country can be different though, so it can be tricky with grammar and spelling.  There have been many changes since I left school.
       
         BGP: What first inspired you to become a writer?

CP: I suppose my inspiration first came from history research.  I have read many books of many different genres over the years and though I have favourite authors I really can’t think where my inspiration comes from.  It is like I have a pixie on my shoulder telling me what to write.
                
BGP:  What do you do to prepare for a story?

CP: I am a prolific writer most of the time.  All I tend to do is open a document and let my fingers do the talking.  I do some research when it is needed, talk to friends and I try and develop the characters as the story progresses.  I have several series, so note taking has become more of a habit now.  I don’t really plot, though I suppose when I get stuck with something and discuss it with beta readers and or friends, then that is the most plotting I do.

BGP: What is your editing process like?

CP: I read a book called “On Writing” by Stephen King.  I must admit it is the best thing I ever did.  I follow my editing similar to what he stated in the book.  I write my first draft from beginning to end, with only minor edits with spelling.  I next send it to Beta readers who like the genre.  During the six weeks I ignore the first draft I will possibly write another story.  Once my beta readers get back to me and the six weeks is up I will go back to my draft and make changes.  Will having up to six weeks off I notice the more obvious errors.  Once out to beta readers again.  This will continue until I am satisfied, after which I’ll publish it.

BGP:   Who is/was your biggest support for your writing career?
CP: Tina and Susan were my very first beta readers.  My husband, my daughters who think I can be scary, my beat reader Sharon and Belinda.  Honestly there are too many to name really.
            

 BGP:  What genre do you write and what lead you there?
CP: I write all genres.  Adult Mystery Detective Romance, Erotic Fantasy, Thrillers, Short Stories, Children’s Stories, and Sci-Fi.  Not all are published yet.

BGP: Who/what do you read?
  
 CP:   My favourite children’s stories are by C S Lewis who is quoted as saying “A children’s story which is only enjoyed by Children is a bad Children’s Story.”  I totally agree.  Another author is Elizabeth Goudge and “The Valley of Song.”  Fab fairy story for all ages.
Adult books, I enjoy Clive Cussler, Linda Fairstein, Colin Forbes, Nora Roberts aka J D Robb to name a few.       

BGP:  Tell us about your books.

CP: I have eight books self-published at present with another two to be released by the end of March.
I have my Garrett Investigation Bureau Series which is set in New York, so far four are published, though I am updating them at the moment, along with their book covers and synopsis.
I have “Zoe’s Journey,” which was meant to be a one off book and has suddenly now got a sequel in progress.
Two short stories.  One is “Charlie girl’s first Summer Christmas,” and “The Diary of a Psychotic Killer.”  Though this one is a bit repetitive it is to show the state of her mental health.  She wasn’t a nice person.
“Fred, The Evil Incarnate,”  is my Erotic Fantasy, though I don’t’ know where the idea came from.
At present I am working on publishing book five in the Garrett series which is called “Mascosta’s Dreamgirl,” and also the first in a series of children’s books called “Girlie and the War of the Wasps,”  adored by the children who have read it so far as beta readers.


BGP: What is your self – publishing process like?

CP: If it is my own work, I tend to format as I write.  Usually starting it as an eBook and changing it to a Print version.  With a client’s work I format as I read and format into which ever version they wish.  I use a student Graphic Designer to do my book covers, helping to give them experience to further their career.  The books are uploaded to various websites, proofed and marketed by social media and in the local press/library.

BGP: What do you do when you aren’t writing?

CP: Formatting and publishing for others. Family History Research, house work, reading, drawing and of course the most important part giving my attention to my loving family :D

BGP: So if we were doing this interview on the phone, this would be the part of what I would call rapid fire. I’m going ask random questions that have nothing to do with anything and I want you to give me the first thing pops into your mind.

If you could be a tree what kind of tree what kind of tree would you be?
Oak

Chocolate or Vanilla?
Chocolate

Last concert you went to?
Jesus Christ Super Star performed by local high schools.

Favorite guilty pleasure junk food?

Chippies (Crisps)  and Whittiker’s Chocolate


Thanks again to Claire and stopping by and talking writing with us.

No comments:

Post a Comment