Monday, October 13, 2014

Interview with Jessica Kong

I had the opportunity to sit down with author Jessica Kong and get to know a little bit about her. I'm still impressed that she is the mother of triplets and has time to do all the things that she does.




Jessica Kong is the author of A Lost Kitten and A Forgotten Kitten, books one and two of the Sea-anan Saga. The major theme in each series of interracial families is inspired by her own experiences in a multicultural marriage as well as the experiences of her triplets. She addresses the issue through the lens of science-fiction characters whose heritage is of both planet Earth and planet Oceana. Through this literary device, she can convey the message that society should not judge people without knowing anything about them, as well as showing how, underneath it all, we are really all the same.

A Seacat’s Love is the first book in the Oceanan Trilogy. This science-fiction romance takes readers back in time to introduce the parents of the protagonists of the first two books in the Sea-anan Saga
BG: Thank you, for taking the time to do this interview, Jessica. Let's start out with something basic. When did you start writing?

JK: I dabbled in writing when I was 16 yrs old. But I didn’t write my first book until two years after my kids were born, so that would be in the year 2000.  Would you believe that was A Seacat’s Love, my latest book.

BG: So I have to ask, how do you find time to write with triplets?

JK: First thing, I made certain I bought a portable laptop. I worked every chance I got, meaning while they were at swimming class, ballet, Kung Fu, etc. I would sit in my car, in the parking lot, and work. There were many nights when I worked until 4 in the morning.

BG: What advice would you give writers that are parents of young children?

JK:  Write around your kids’ schedule and  write when you can.

BG: Have things that the kids, say or do ended up in your stories somehow?

JK: Absolutely, after all, you write what you know, correct?

BG:  What genre do you write and what called you to it?

JK: I love, love, love writing in the science fiction/fantasy/paranormal romance genre. The romance genre chose me because I can’t seem to NOT pair people off. It breaks my heart when I see someone alone and I start thinking about their future. I was programmed to think of AND have a family. Hence the reason for being blessed with a great husband and triplets. As for choosing the science fiction/fantasy/paranormal genres, well, did I mention that I love those genres?  J I can only write if I mush them all together. To write in one genre without the others is not possible for me.

BG: Where do you get your inspiration from?

JK:  I get my inspirations from life, movies, books, and—believe it or not—cartoons and video games.

BG: What video games and cartoons have influenced you?


JK: Hehehehe For all you kids out there, I’m sure many of my generation have heard of the Thundercats. J  Dragon Ball Z and Avatar: The Last Air Bender are two others I seriously enjoyed watching.  Video games are Final Fantasy, the Lego series, Half-Life, and Kingdom Hearts.

 
BG:  So what's next on the writing docket for Jessica Kong?

JK: I am now working on the 3rd installment for the Sea-anan Saga.


BG:What is the best piece of advice you've ever received?

JK: Write what you love.


BG: What advice would you give?

JK: Write what you love. In other words, don’t force your story to fit into the present popular niche. If it falls into it, great. If it doesn’t, that’s great too, as long as you write from your heart.

BG:How can people get in contact with you?
JK:  To connect with me or purchase any of my books, go to:










 And finally, we've come to what I call rapid fire. Or least it would be, if this was a phone interview. I'm going to come up with a list of completely random questions and you type out the first thing that comes to mind.
Favorite animal?  Dog
What would your last meal be if you were on death row?  Pizza

If you were a tree, what kind would you be?  Weeping Willow
Favorite cartoon as a kid?  Scooby Doo
Favorite movie (s) of all time?  Independence Day

Thank you, Jessica. It's been a joy getting to know you and best of luck on your books!

No comments:

Post a Comment