Sunday, September 21, 2014

Guilty Pleasure Sunday

Okay, admit it. Everyone reading this has those guilty pleasure songs that get cranked when you're on a road trip or sang in the shower. Or guilty pleasure artists. E'erybody hatin' on Jason Derulo these days but I love him. Yes, he pretty much only sings his name, but it's cute the way he does it. My friends want to kill me because I'll randomly walk in the room singing "Jason Derulo", because well, it's funny and I can.

I could very easily do a top 50 guilty pleasure songs list, but I won't bore you with all that. So, I'll do top 5. As always, please feel free to drop me a comment or an email on your favorite songs or comment about mine. Because well, most people do.

5. She Hates Me by Puddle of Mudd


There is something cathartic and freeing about screaming "She *bleeping* hates me!!!" at the top of your lungs in a car full of your friends while this song is cranked. Or maybe it's just me. IDK, go try it and then tell me if you don't instantly feel better by the end of the song. Even if you don't, you'll be laughing for the moment and that's all that matters. And it's not about being mad at the opposite sex, just the lyrics and the beat just make you want to crank it and sing.

4. Girl All the Good Guys Want by Bowling For Soup

So maybe, somewhere in the deepest recesses of my mind, I'm absolutely convinced that this song was written about me. I can neither confirm or deny these rumors. I <3 me some Bowling For Soup and this is the song that got it all started for me. The lead singer can't really sing and that's part of the charm of the group, simply because it's a lot of fun to try to imitate his nasally sound.

3. The Night Santa Went Crazy by Weird Al Yankovich

I highly recommend that you stop what you're doing and watch this video. However, children who still believe in Santa Claus should not, under any circumstances, listen to this song or watch the animated video. It will scar them for life. I have watched this video and listened to this song so many times I should totally be desensitized to it but half way through the first verse, I'm laughing so hard I'm crying, every single time I put it on. It's completely demented and twisted and classic Weird Al and I love it. I'm usually not a big fan of his original songs, I'm generally more into his parodies, but he totally knocked it out of the park here.

2. Confessions Part 3 by Weird Al Yankovich

Speaking of Weird Al's parodies, this has to be one of his best. Even better than Fat and Amish Paradise. Now, I love, love L O V E me some Usher Raymond but Confessions  I & II have to be two of the dumbest songs on the planet. So a major amount of kudos go out to Weird Al for calling him to the carpet on this one and continuing the absurdity that is the Confessions saga. It's so silly and nonsensical that it just makes me laugh.

1. Ice Ice Baby by Vanilla Ice

 Why are you even rolling your eyes at this one? I am not the only person that has this on their iPod, I'm just the only one that will admit it. There's just something about that opening hook that gets that foot tappin'. And admittedly, it's about the memories that this song conjures up. It's one of those songs that takes you back in time to when it came out and gets your thinking about what was going on back then or maybe it was playing when something significant happened. Fine. Suck your teeth at me and roll your eyes, but don't worry, I won't tell anybody that you watched the video after you read this.


So, talk to me. What are some of your guilty pleasure songs?

No comments:

Post a Comment