Monday, December 22, 2014

Christmas music



3 days before Christmas!!! Is everybody ready? I am. I am excited for the holidays this year.  A lot of people are still struggling to find their Christmas spirit though and I’m here to help.

This week we’re going to break down my top 8 favorite Christmas songs. Now I’m warning you, I’m not into traditional Christmas songs. Well, the songs maybe, but not the original artists. I like my Christmas trees traditional (with a color theme and candy canes) but my music more modern and *gasp* a little poppy. They're mostly from the 80s and 90s but what can I say? I'm a product of my environment. Click on the name of the song to watch the youtube video.

So let’s break it down, shall we:

8. I Wish Everyday Could Be Like Christmas by Bon Jovi – Now to know me is to know that any Bon Jovi – no matter the era or the hair style – makes me feel better. My best friend  has a Bon Jovi Pandora station that she puts on in the car when she sees me frowned up. So it’s only fitting that my Jon Bon is on this list. 

7. Do You Hear What I Hear by Whitney Houston – This song is just beautiful. Period, I get lost in the beauty and power of her voice.

6. I Want a Hippopotamus For Christmas by Shirley Temple – this one just makes me smile. I had one of my God daughter’s hooked on this song one year for Christmas to the point where she asked for a hippopotamus for Christmas (which she got btw – a stuffed one).

5. Merry Christmas From the Family by Montgomery Gentry - It's irreverent. It's laden with red neckisms. But if you've heard Montgomery Gentry before, you know that it's classic them.

4. The Night Santa Went Crazy by Weird Al Yankovich - WARNING: NOT CHILD FRIENDLY. For those of you who just can NOT get in the Christmas spirit. This is the song for you. I laugh so hard I cry every time I listen to this song.
 
3. Funky, Funky Christmas by The New Kids on the Block – Mock me if you must (it’s okay, I know you are) but I love this whole album and yes, I had the cassette when it first came out. A lot of the songs on here, made the list because of the memories I have from being a kid and this song is no different. It makes me happy. And it’s one of the first ones that get played Thanksgiving night to get my Christmas holiday started.

2. All I Want For Christmas Is You by Mariah Carey – I absolutely adore this song to the point that it’s my ring tone for most of the season.

1. Carol of the Bells Trans – Siberian Orchestra. Anything by them is absolutely stunning. For those who don’t know them, they’re rock opera and they do primarily Christmas music. It’s absolutely amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment